Skip to main content
Topic: Research Fellow: Data Science / Biostatistics / Bioinformatics (Read 4367 times) previous topic - next topic

Research Fellow: Data Science / Biostatistics / Bioinformatics

Hi All,

After working in Metabolomics for over 18 years, in 5 countries, on over 60 projects, as a computer scientist and biostatistician, I have finally made it to full professor. I have also recently been funded ~$3M to set up a lab. So I am now the director of the Centre for Integrative Metabolomics & Computational Biology at Edith Cowan University in Perth Australia (www.cimcb.info). This is a Thermo Fisher sponsored proof-of-concept lab housing state-of-the-art mass spectrometry equipment backed up by a comprehensive suite of high-performance OSX workstations and access to multiple supercomputers.

As far as I am aware, I am in a unique situation. CiM-CB will be the only metabolomics lab in the world that is lead by a computer scientist. Unsurprisingly, I have a very data-centric research vision, with a clear focus on robust workflows, quality control, intuitive data integration, and machine learning, which will hopefully allow vibrant and innovative research to flourish, encouraging stimulating interactions between computational, biological, medical, and scientists.

So, I am currently recruiting a Data Scientist to fill the position of a senior postdoctoral research fellow. Any applicant should have extensive experience (PhD+) in one or more of the following: Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, Cheminformatic, Data Management, or Machine Learning – and must be a proficient programmer in a standard scripting language (preferably Python). Being able to write Matlab, SAS scripts would be a bonus (R “programmers” should learn Python before applying … only joking!). I did my PhD in C++ & Fortran (Object-Oriented Artificial Neural Networks and Genetic Algorithms in Chemometrics) so any hardcore programmers would also be welcome.

Other than that, all I ask is that you are highly motivated team player, with a rich imagination and some crazy off-the-wall ideas for pushing forward the field of data science in metabolomics. It doesn’t have to be math based either; I have some nascent ideas on how to move data visualisation into VR, developing teaching aids using Jupyter, and radically reinventing online data science workflows. Any and every idea will be enthusiastically considered.

I was a post-doctoral researcher for over 12 years before I “got my break”, so I am well aware of how hard it is to get a successful career off the ground. My role as supervisor for this position is to accelerate this process by providing guidance, support, and giving as much time as possible for the successful candidate to translate their research ideas into a career trajectory. Inevitably, there will be a certain amount of very tedious PLS-DA modelling; many frustrating conversations with clinicians explaining why an N of 10 is a waste of time, and arguments with reviewers about why we should no longer be using p-values. On the flip-side I can pretty much guarantee that the main focus of your time and efforts will be focused on radical computational method development or being first author on papers (the data-scientist curse of being constantly 2nd author will be doggedly avoided if you do the majority of the work on a paper). I have also worked very hard to get the salary to a level that I consider reasonable.

If you are still reading this then you are also probably be thinking to yourself “ECU? Where? Why?”. To that I can only reply that IMHO Metabolomics, as it thought of today, was pretty much invented in a small lab in Aberystwyth led by Professor Douglas Kell (CBE). That lab produced Professor Royston Goodacre (eminent metabolomics scientist & editor of the Metabolomics Journal), Professor Pedro Mendes (eminent systems biology scientist), myself (ex-board of directors Metabolomics Society) and several other successful academic researchers. I am not in anyway comparing myself to Doug, but it really is “what you do, not where you do it”. Perth, Australia is very isolated but I have funds for travel. It is also one of the most beautiful, sunniest, cities in the world – with beaches you would not believe.

Other details:

1) It is a 3-year fixed term appointment, which can/will be extended if the applicant is considered successful.
2) The salary is AU$95,979 – AU$113,978 (~US$71,500 - ~US$85,000 ; Euro ~€67,000 - ~€79,600 ; GBP ~£56,000 - ~£66,700 )
3) 17% University superannuation (pension) contribution.
4) There is funding for a working visa.
5) There is funding for relocation.

So if you are interested in having an adventure in Western Australia please drop me a line for further details (d.broadhurst@ecu.edu.au) or apply online (you have to apply through the portal) http://tinyurl.com/gw63a4w
I have attached a pdf of the official advert for you to print off and digest over the upcoming holidays. Closing date 22nd January.

Best Wishes, David.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dr. David Broadhurst
Professor of Biostatistics & Machine Learning
Director, Centre for Integrative Metabolomics & Computational Biology (www.cimcb.info)
Edith Cowan University, Perth, Australia