Skip to main content
Topic: Research Fellow: Biochemist / Analytical Chemist Mass Spectrometry (Read 3467 times) previous topic - next topic

Research Fellow: Biochemist / Analytical Chemist Mass Spectrometry

Hi All,

I have recently been awarded ~$3M to set up a metabolomics facility: The Centre for Integrative Metabolomics & Computational Biology at Edith Cowan University in Perth Australia (www.cimcb.info). This is a Thermo Fisher sponsored proof-of-concept lab housing state-of-the-art mass spectrometry equipment backed up by a comprehensive suite of high-performance OSX workstations and access to multiple supercomputers.

My lab is fitted out with the highest quality Thermo-Fisher instrumentation including an LC-Q Exactive MS, GC-Q Exactive MS, and a Quantiva QQQ LC-MS, which is supported by a comprehensive computational biology capability for the provision of reproducible data, mathematical modelling, and biological interpretation. Our focus on robust workflows, quality control, and intuitive data integration, will allow vibrant and innovative research to flourish, encouraging stimulating interactions between biological, medical, and computational scientists.

I am seeking to employ a research fellow with a PhD in Mass-Spectrometry based Metabolomics, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related discipline, with an exceptional track record in metabolomics research and demonstrable expertise in Gas Chromatography - Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS). The primary role of successful applicant will lead the use and development of the centre’s Thermo Q Exactive Orbitrap GC-MS as a tool for metabolomics analysis – probably the best high-resolution mass spectrometer in production. There will be significant opportunity, and expectation, for the successful applicant to develop their own research program, lead research projects, and grant applications.

It is expected that the successful applicant will bring along experience in a particular area of applied research to complement their understanding of GC-MS metabolomics. That area is to be proposed (and pitched to me) as part of the job application. Our centre will focus on 3 primary areas of applied research: (i) Sports/Exercise/Human Exposome; (ii) Human integrated ‘omics with particular focus on microbiome/host metabolite interaction (iii) Marine / Ecological metabolomics / systems biology. These areas reflect the expertise of the current team and local collaborators. However, given a sufficiently strong case I am willing to let the research fellow pursue any avenue of metabolomics research.

The successful applicant must, to a large degree, be self-reliant. There will be a range of analytical chemistry MS expertise at the Centre but is expected that this person would lead the GC-MS method development in all areas (as a management position). Of course the trade-off is that you will have some of the best computational support in the metabolomics community (Design of Experiments, quality control, signal processing, statistics and bioinformatics) and the opportunity to learn to become an expert in these skills. I will be teaching all my staff to program in either Matlab or Python.

I was a post-doctoral researcher for over 12 years before I "got my break", so I am well aware of how hard it is to get a successful career off the ground. My role as supervisor for this position is to accelerate this career process by providing guidance, support, and allowing as much time as possible for the successful candidate to translate their research ideas into a career trajectory. Inevitably, there will be a certain amount of quid-pro-quo work on projects from other team members and possibly contract work. However, I can pretty much guarantee that 50% of your time will be spent on research projects led by the successful candidate, but with the full support and resources of the centre. I have also worked very hard to get the salary to a level that I consider reasonable.

Other details:

1) It is a 3-year fixed term appointment, which can/will be extended if the applicant is considered successful.
2) The salary is AU$95,979 – AU$113,978 (~US$71,500 - ~US$85,000 ; Euro €67,000 - €79,600 ; GBP £56,000 - £66,700 )
3) 17% University superannuation (pension) contribution.
4) There is funding for a working visa.
5) There is funding for relocation.

So if you are interested in having an adventure in Western Australia please dorp me a line for further details (d.broadhurst@ecu.edu.au) or apply online (you have to apply through the portal) http://tinyurl.com/h52fnnz

Best Wishes, David.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dr. David Broadhurst
Professor of Biostatistics & Machine Learning
Director, Centre for Integrative Metabolomics & Computational Biology (www.cimcb.info)
Edith Cowan University, Perth, Australia