Skip to main content
Topic: Graduate Research Assistants in Microbial Metabolomics (Read 4109 times) previous topic - next topic

Graduate Research Assistants in Microbial Metabolomics

We invite applications for multiple graduate research assistants in the area of environmental microbial metabolomics and/or environmental analytical chemistry.
Background: Graduate students in the Kujawinski lab at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (Woods Hole, Massachusetts, USA) are enrolled primarily in the MIT/WHOI Joint Program in Applied Ocean Sciences and Engineering. The research group uses analytical chemistry to explore the intersection of microbial biology and chemistry within Earth’s systems, with a specific focus on the oceans. We have access to sophisticated mass spectrometry tools as well as computational resources and develop new tools through which to interrogate the chemical composition of microbes and their environments. We collaborate with biologists in oceanography, soil science and human systems in order to place our work in the broadest context.
My philosophy: Graduate students in my research group are full colleagues in our intellectual enterprise (see projects listed on this website). Students are expected to develop their own research questions and to participate in the research group activities to the fullest. Thus, I support independent creative individuals who are eager to answer sophisticated science questions at the cutting edge of environmental chemistry and microbiology. To the best of my ability, I provide financial support for laboratory research, field activities and networking opportunities. I encourage my students to explore non-traditional career opportunities and to seek out additional training resources, as their time and interests allow, with the goal of training well-rounded scientists for their chosen careers.
Who succeeds: The lab is based on chemistry and so most of our members have training in the chemical arts. However, we welcome chemically-minded individuals with a physical science degree. We develop data analysis pipelines, when needed, and so students are encouraged to learn computer programming in MATLAB, R and/or Python. In my experience, students who have taken at least a year off after their undergraduate studies are more prepared for graduate school, so I give preference to individuals who have experience beyond their undergraduate degree. That said, excellent applications from graduating seniors are always considered.

For additional information about graduate school at WHOI, click here. Questions should be addressed to Elizabeth Kujawinski (ekjuawinski@whoi.edu).