Skip to main content
Topic: QTRAP parameters for lipidomics (Read 4849 times) previous topic - next topic

QTRAP parameters for lipidomics

Hello,
I am planning to run human samples for lipidomics analysis. I am new to qtrap and using sciex qtrap 5500. Can anyone please help me telling the parameter settings used for your analysis? I thought this will help me to optimize parameters for my project.

Thank you  :) .

Re: QTRAP parameters for lipidomics

Reply #1
I assume you mean chromatography etc? I suggest finding some of Fiehn's papers in lipidomics and using their system as a starting point.

Other than that it seems you have a nominal mass instrument? It will be very hard doing something sensible with that in lipidomics...
Blog: stanstrup.github.io

Reply #2
Hey Jan,
I was looking for mass spectrometry parameters, not LC. I am doing direct injection. Also if I want to perform untargeted analysis (LC-MS) using qtrap 5500 will that be a good choice. What will be the drawbacks? I know it is not a good choice but one of my friends want to run untargeted analysis using the mass spectrometer (qtrap 5500). I told him that it is not a high res instrument so won't be right thing to do.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Best,
Titan

Reply #3
Hi Titan,
So regarding your untargeted experiment, what can I say, is that it is not good idea.... Not on this equipment. You will not obtain any reasonable info from that. Unfortunately it is the same for direct injection; DI is sth I would rather avoid - especially for lipidomix. There are so many isomers, so many isobaric stuff, lipids are very concentrated, so you should dilute them really much. I guess that you should take an article, as Jan suggested, and go through already set parameters for your equipment. QTrap 5500 is good for targeted very sensible profiling, take one or two families that you are the most interested in, and try to profile them nicely with all isomers on good LC column. Reasonable Rt sth between 7-30 minutes.

Good luck,

Mary

Reply #4
Hey All,
Thank you for your suggestions. :)

Titan

Reply #6
Hi sorry I am late to the game here but what type of analysis do you want to do. You can do precursor ion scan (PIS) or neutral loss scan (NL) experiments to capture lipids of interest of a particular class. Seems you want to be more discovery than targeted and the QT5500 is a great platform for this type of workflow. There is on the sciex.com website an application note you can download or alternatively if you email me I can send it to you which allows a multiplexed precursor ion scan (MPIS) method allowing for comprehensive coverage of the lipidome.
Thanks
Bal