Skip to main content
Topic: Issues with Lipidomics Mode [Crashing, will not run files that have ran before] (Read 2768 times) previous topic - next topic

Issues with Lipidomics Mode [Crashing, will not run files that have ran before]

Good morning--

Recently my lab has ran into an issue where MS-DIAL won't run negative mode files for lipidomics. I tried to run new files of E. coli and the negative mode files will either crash the program (it actually locked my computer up for ~30 minutes with just a black screen) or take several hours to run and then return zero ref matches. A coworker attempted to run files on their computer that had worked previously on both the latest version and an earlier version (4.00) and the program crashed within a few seconds each time but the same file in metabolomics ran as expected. Running the same file as metabolomics returns 4 matches.

Is anyone else experiencing/experienced similar issues or have a fix?

I am using ver4.18, data can be made available on request.

Re: Issues with Lipidomics Mode [Crashing, will not run files that have ran before]

Reply #1
I have the same problem when trying to run in lipidomics mode...
I run my lipidomics data in metabolomics mode and it suddenly worked.
Maybe it is something related to the identification part. I am not sure.. but I think that is the only different part between them..
Since I use MSDial only for peak picking and alignment, I don't think it is a problem to use metabolomics mode.

Re: Issues with Lipidomics Mode [Crashing, will not run files that have ran before]

Reply #2
Sorry users for this inconvenience.
I am not sure for the issue detail (because many users can process the lipidomics data without any issue).
However, I think there would be two potential problems.

1. Currently, as you know, MS-DIAL lipidomics has very large spectral information, and it's stored on memory in analyzing the lipidomics data.  I checked the memory resource required for parsing all lipid spectral queries, and I found that "10 GB RAM" is used for storing the lipidomics library information "even though not all lipid classes are ticked in the parameter setting". Therefore, I now recommend to use the PC that has >= 16 GB RAM.

2. Recently, since the long time is required for importing libraries in lipidomics project, the dead-lock issue is sometimes occurred, so therefore, I've fixed this issue, and new version will be released on Monday of next week.

Thanks,

Hiroshi