Skip to main content
Topic: MSDial crashes after processing files and after opening alignment navigator (Read 4379 times) previous topic - next topic

MSDial crashes after processing files and after opening alignment navigator

When I start a new project, after dragging the .D files, setting it to 'use retention time' setting, and selecting my msp file,  I click 'finish'.

At first, the program says "not responding" for several minutes before the progress bar pops up. Once the files are fully processed, the peak spot viewer opens up for a second before MS-Dial subsequently crashes.

When I open the project back up after restarting MS-Dial, the peak spot viewer works normally, but when I attempt to open alignment navigator, the program crashes again.

Has anyone else experienced something similar to this? How can this be resolved? 

Thank you.

Re: MSDial crashes after processing files and after opening alignment navigator

Reply #1
Sorry, I do not have the experience. Please send your .d file to me via e.g. wetransfer.
Or, is it the same case when you use abf format?

Hiroshi

Reply #2
I have a similar issue, but for me it crashes before ever showing the peak spot viewer.

This only seems to happen when using GC-MS data, and only when loading 10 or more files. I can load and process up to 9 files successfully, but it reliably crashes when loading 10 or more. It doesn't seem to matter what parameters are used or whether any libraries are searched, etc. This is the case with either .mzML or .D files.

I can load at least 20 LC-MSMS files though (and presumably more, but I haven't checked), so maybe the problem is specific to GC-MS processing? What type of data are you using?

James

Reply #3
Hello,
I have the same problem with GC-MS processing.  I have run quite a few datasets without much trouble (some crashes but usually redoing the processing will sort the problem now).  The current dataset of 288 samples in abf format is going the whole way through, past alignment and gap filling, and then crashing just before finishing.  I can open the MS DIAL file up, and see and click on the individual files.  But when I click on the alignment file, MS DIAL crashes.

I've tried changing a few of the settings but nothing seems to work. 

Any suggestions?

Data are from a Shimadzu GCMS TQ8040 run in scan mode, converted to abf format.  The only thing I could think of is that the data were acquired in scan and MRM mode, but the abf should be just pulling out the scan data?  We had issues with scan/MRM data with LC-MS processing, but a different type of issue.

Thanks,

Alastair

Reply #4
Update: I tried an older version of MS DIAL (4.24) and it worked.  So not sure what the issue is, but if you're stuck, try an older version of MS DIAL.

Reply #5
Hi all, I'm having the same issue as above with GC-MS processing, although using an older version of MS DIAL (4.24) did not work. The program crashes and exits after the processing and alignment is seemingly complete, but only when handling a large number of sample files. Was another fix ever found?

Reply #6
Hi colleagues ,
 I have a problem with ms dial, I have a new computer with windows 10, when I put next in a new project the application crash and shows me this error message you find it in pj, I hope you find me a solution

Reply #7
I have a similar issue, but for me it crashes before ever showing the peak spot viewer.

This only seems to happen when using GC-MS data, and only when loading 10 or more files. I can load and process up to 9 files successfully, but it reliably crashes when loading 10 or more. It doesn't seem to matter what parameters are used or whether any libraries are searched, etc. This is the case with either .mzML or .D files.

I can load at least 20 LC-MSMS files though (and presumably more, but I haven't checked), so maybe the problem is specific to GC-MS processing? What type of data are you using?

James

What libraries are you loading on MS-DIAL for your LC-MS data. For GC there seems to be a lot of help in compound annotation but not as much for LC, I feel. Wondered if your approach may help me use MS-DIAL for LC-MS data too.

Reply #8

What libraries are you loading on MS-DIAL for your LC-MS data. For GC there seems to be a lot of help in compound annotation but not as much for LC, I feel. Wondered if your approach may help me use MS-DIAL for LC-MS data too.

Sorry for the delay. I just used the .msp libraries available from the MS-DIAL database page, which has a bunch of freely available spectral libraries for both positive and negative ionisation. I haven't spent much time using MS-DIAL for LC-MS though, and from what I did do, most of the compounds I was interested in were not correctly annotated. I didn't really try to get it working well though, so this may well be partly error on my part.

Reply #9
Hello,

I have a problem with MSDIAL. When I open it and start a new project, I can select the path and the files to process, then I can enter the metadata, but after pressing the "Next" button, the software closes immediately without any error message.

I tried several versions of MSDIAL and several datasets: each time the same crash!

Do you have any suggestion?

Reply #10
I also had issues with MS-DIAL closing without any error. I found out that the RAM was reaching the maximum with just 1 file. If I analyzed 2 or more, it crashes.
So I moved to a stronger computer with more RAM, and it was able to analyze 5 samples.
For those having a similar error, I recommend to check the RAM on the Windows Task Manager and see if it reaches the maximum available. If that's the case, you will have to analyze less samples at once, or move to a more powerful computer.