Skip to main content
Topic: MS-DIAL versions after 4.48 crash after processing and on loading alignment file (Read 2650 times) previous topic - next topic

MS-DIAL versions after 4.48 crash after processing and on loading alignment file

Hello,
I've been processing Agilent GCMS data (1 to 5 files, as .abf files), using retention time identification and alignment (i.e. no RI index files).  In MS-DIAL versions up to and including 4.48 (I've tested multiple versions back to 4.24, i.e. 4.24, 4.36, 4.38, 4.48), the software behaves as expected, without any issues.  However, in the current version (4.80), and all versions after 4.48 up to this (i.e. 4.60, 4.70, 4.80), I get the following errors:

1)  After finishing Data Processing, MS-DIAL closes (crashes).  The .mtd2 file is automatically saved before the crash, as MS-DIAL can then be re-started and the .mtd2 project file opened, with processed data spots showing as expected for individual files.  This happens whether I process a single file, or multiple files as input.

2) After successfully processing multiple files (and re-starting MS-DIAL and loading the saved .mtd2 project file as outlined above), the spots from individual files can be viewed by double clicking on files in the File Navigator.  However, after double-clicking the alignment file in Alignment Navigator, MS-DIAL crashes.  So it is not possible to view alignment results.  I can generate an alignment file in the new versions (e.g. 4.80), and open the saved .mtd2 file in versions <= 4.48 to view the alignment result, but not in any versions >= 4.60.

I have installed all MS-DIAL versions on Win 10 (build version 1909, Intel i5-7200U 2.50 GHz processor with 16 GB RAM).

It looks to me that the alignment results are being successfully generated in he latest MS-DIAL versions, but simply not openable in the GUI.  Whatever caused this problem happened in the upgrade from version 4.48 to 4.60.  So at the moment I am restricted to using 4.48 until this is resolved.  Are there any user functionality differences between 4.48 and 4.80?

I've attached a screenshot of the .mtd2 file opened in 4.80, where I processed 5 .abf files.  Double clicking on any of the alignmentResults will crash MS-DIAL.  The screenshot looks identical in 4.48 (i.e. 4.80 generated .mtd2 file opened in 4.48) , and the alignmentResults all open with no issues.

Many thanks
Tony

Re: MS-DIAL versions after 4.48 crash after processing and on loading alignment file

Reply #1
Hi,

I do not have a solution but would like to report, that I have the same issue on the following system:

Windows 10 Enterprise; Build: 20H2
Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2133 CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz
32 GB RAM

Versions tested 4.70 and 4.80. The issue is exactly the same (LC-Q-TOF Data and GC-MS Data), crashes after the samples are processed into an alignment and the program crashes also when one tries to open the alignment file in a new program session. If anyone can provide some help, that would be appreciated very much.

All the best,

Alexander

Re: MS-DIAL versions after 4.48 crash after processing and on loading alignment file

Reply #2
Hi,

I have not experienced this issue before, but recently yes. I don't know if it is related to the system, since I have updated the systems. I am using the following system:

Processor   AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx     2.10 GHz
Installed RAM   12.0 GB (9.94 GB usable)
System type   64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition   Windows 10 Pro
Version   21H1
Installed on   ‎10/‎2/‎2020
OS build   19043.1706
Experience   Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

All the best,
Qizhi Su