Skip to main content
Topic: Analyzing SRM / MRM data (Read 11075 times) previous topic - next topic

Analyzing SRM / MRM data

In our lab SRM (=MRM) analysis is frequently used to quantify multiple components by LC/MS.

To use SRM data in combination with xcms a number of problems arise, since the data-structure of SRM (mzXML) files is not suitable for the native xcms software.

In each record of a SRM mzXML file the following information is stored.

Some acquisition information
RetentionTime
PrecursorMZ
basePeakMZ  (fragment ion), and its intensity

See an example below:
<scan num="13767"
  msLevel="2"
  peaksCount="1"
  polarity="+"
  scanType="MRM"
  retentionTime="PT828.196S"
  lowMz="263.2"
  highMz="263.2"
  basePeakMz="263.2"
  basePeakIntensity="50"
  totIonCurrent="49"
  collisionEnergy="32" >
  <precursorMz precursorIntensity="0" >599.5</precursorMz>
  <peaks precision="32"
    byteOrder="network"
    pairOrder="m/z-int" >Q4OZmkJIAAA=</peaks>
  </scan>

The next SRM transition will have its own retention time, precursorMZ and basePeakMZ.
Etc.

Xcms analysis of such data gives rise to three problems:

1. These data files contain no msLevel=”1” data!
2. Xcms analysis is based on the precursorMZ, and there can be multiple SRM transitions with an identical precursorMZ value
3. Each SRM transition is measured at a certain retention time the next a little latter etc. This will produce gaps between two successive specific SRMs.
xcms expects full scans at successive retentions times. eg, if a method contains 20 SRM transitions, and a peak appears in the first SRM transition. The a signal will be detected at that time point, after that 19 time point will generated with no signal.

To overcome these problems I altered the ramp.R script in the xcms source!
The main points are:
1. Determine the cycle-time (CycleT)
CycleT <- rtdiff$values[which(rtdiff$length == max(rtdiff$length))]
# CycleT is the most occurring time difference between two equal MRM-transitions
# CycleT <- quantile(rt[mzmaxscans][2:(length(mzmaxscans))]-rt[mzmaxscans][1:(length(mzmaxscans)-1)])[3] # gives the same result

2. Index the precursorMZ to an unique mz
   mz <- floor(scanHeaders$precursorMZ[scans])+ floor(sipeaks$mz)/1000 + floor(scanHeaders$collisionEnergy[scans])/1000000
          # mz <- Q1 mass (without decimals) then at the decimal place the fragment mass, followed by the collision energy (Just to be sure it is unique).
          # Thus;  mz =  Q1.Q3CE  (I assumed that Q3 is always smaller that 1000 m/z)

3. Transform the retention times:
        rt = floor(rt/CycleT)*CycleT+(CycleT/2) 
          # Each SRM cycle must be performed on a single acquisition time
          # consequently the peaks are shifted by maximally CycleT/2 seconds
          # we have to take this for granted!

4. Sort the data by RT and MZ, and create the new correct data-structure
5. return the data

Below the code is listed. I also attached the ramp.R script file.
## begin added code
    # for some reason the "MRM" factor ended up in the precursorIntensity column in my version of xcms (it should be in the scantype column) .
    # I also added "SRM" but I don't know if this is necessary
    if ("MRM" %in% levels(scanHeaders$precursorIntensity) | "MRM" %in% levels(scanHeaders$scanType) | "SRM" %in% levels(scanHeaders$precursorIntensity) | "SRM" %in% levels(scanHeaders$scanType)) { 

# I did the same as the original ramp (work around buggy RAMP indexing code)
        scansMRM <- ( scanHeaders$msLevel >= 2 & scanHeaders$seqNum > 0
              & !duplicated(scanHeaders$acquisitionNum)
              & scanHeaders$peaksCount > 0) 
        scans <- which(scansMRM)

sipeaks <- rampSIPeaks(rampid, scans, scanHeaders$peaksCount[scans])

# Since multiple Q1 values can be present in a MRM transition table, unique Q1 -values are created which correspond to the MRM transition
        # mz <- Q1 mass (without decimals) then at the decimal place the fragment mass, followed by the collision energy (Just to be sure it is unique).
        # Thus;  mz =  Q1.Q3CE  (I assumed that Q3 is always smaller that 1000 m/z)
        mz <- floor(scanHeaders$precursorMZ[scans])+ floor(sipeaks$mz)/1000 + floor(scanHeaders$collisionEnergy[scans])/1000000

rt <- scanHeaders$retentionTime[scans] 
        datasize <- length(rt)

# we have to determine what the cycletime is. For that I used the mz with the higest peak intensity. Here we can expact a good signal!
        mzmaxI <- factor(mz)[which(sipeaks$intensity==max(sipeaks$intensity))]
        mzmaxscans <- which(mz==mzmaxI) #These scan numbers contain the scans of the MRM-transition with the highest intensity
        rtdiff <- rle(sort(rt[mzmaxscans][2:(length(mzmaxscans))]-rt[mzmaxscans][1:(length(mzmaxscans)-1)])) #The time difference between two successive scans
        CycleT <- rtdiff$values[which(rtdiff$length == max(rtdiff$length))] # CycleT is the most occurring time difference between two equal MRM-transitions 

# CycleT <- quantile(rt[mzmaxscans][2:(length(mzmaxscans))]-rt[mzmaxscans][1:(length(mzmaxscans)-1)])[3]  # gives the same result

rtmzdRT <-data.frame(cbind(
                  rt = floor(rt/CycleT)*CycleT+(CycleT/2),  # Each MRM cycle should be should be performed on a single acquisition time point
                    # consequently the peaks are shifted by maximally CycleT/2 seconds
                    # we have to take this for granted!
                    mz = mz, 
                    int = scanHeaders$basePeakIntensity[scans],               
                    peaksCount=scanHeaders$peaksCount[scans],
                    intensity = sipeaks$intensity,
                    polarity = scanHeaders$polarity[scans],
                    dRT = 1))
        rtmzdRT <- rtmzdRT[order(rtmzdRT$rt,rtmzdRT$mz),]  #sort on rt and mz

RLErt <-rle(rtmzdRT$rt) # how often a certain rt is occurring 
        scanindex <- as.integer(c(0,which(rtmzdRT$rt[1:datasize-1] != rtmzdRT$rt[2:datasize])))
        tic <- RLErt$values #make a tic table with the same dimensions as ...
        for (i in 1:(length(tic)))
                tic <- sum(rtmzdRT$intensity[(scanindex+1):(scanindex+RLErt$length)])

#end up and return the data
        return(list(rt = RLErt$values,
                    acquisitionNum = 1:length(RLErt$values),
                    tic = tic,
                    scanindex = scanindex,
                    mz = rtmzdRT$mz,
                    peaksCount=as.integer(RLErt$length),
                    intensity =rtmzdRT$intensity,
                    polarity = rtmzdRT$polarity                   
                    ));
    }

## end added code

[attachment deleted by admin]

Re: Analyzing SRM / MRM data

Reply #1
Thank you for sharing your solution!

It should be noted that this patch for ramp.R is only compatible with XCMS versions from the Bioconductor 2.9 branch (1.30.3).
Starting in the BioC 2.10 release, XCMS uses the mzR package for reading raw data.

Ralf

Re: Analyzing SRM / MRM data

Reply #2
Thanks!! One of my lab mates is trying to analyze MRM data and I think they will find this very useful.

Cole