Skip to main content
Topic: Add spectra of xcmsRaw objects together & write to cdf (Read 3291 times) previous topic - next topic

Add spectra of xcmsRaw objects together & write to cdf

Dear all,
In order to examine the average spectra of a series of samples I would like to be able to add the spectra of several xcmsRaw objects together and then write this object to a new cdf file. Does anyone perhaps happen to know how one could achieve this? (I am dealing with GC/EI-MS data) (a function to add the m/z values and intensities of just two xcmsRaw objects together would be fine, as I could take it from there)

cheers,
Tom

Re: Add spectra of xcmsRaw objects together & write to cdf

Reply #1
Dear all,
OK, figured out how to do it, maybe not the most elegant solution, but it seems to work. Currently, I assume that your different files are already reasonably well aligned.

Code: [Select]
######### function to sum the spectra of two xcmsRaw objects together and return it as a new xcmsRaw object 

addspectra = function(object1,object2,profst=1) {
mzminobj1=min(object1@mzrange)
mzmaxobj1=max(object1@mzrange)
mzminobj2=min(object2@mzrange)
mzmaxobj2=max(object2@mzrange)
mzmin=min(mzminobj1,mzminobj2)
mzmax=max(mzmaxobj1,mzmaxobj2)
if (mzmin<mzminobj1) {object1@env$profile=rbind(matrix(0,nrow=round((mzminobj1-mzmin)/profst),ncol=ncol(object1@env$profile)),object1@env$profile)}
if (mzmin<mzminobj2) {object2@env$profile=rbind(matrix(0,nrow=round((mzminobj2-mzmin)/profst),ncol=ncol(object2@env$profile)),object2@env$profile)}
if (mzmax>mzmaxobj1) {object1@env$profile=rbind(object1@env$profile,matrix(0,nrow=round((mzmax-mzmaxobj1)/profst),ncol=ncol(object1@env$profile)))}
if (mzmax>mzmaxobj2) {object2@env$profile=rbind(object2@env$profile,matrix(0,nrow=round((mzmax-mzmaxobj2)/profst),ncol=ncol(object2@env$profile)))}

object1@mzrange=c(mzmin,mzmax)
object2@mzrange=c(mzmin,mzmax)

object3=object1
object3@env$profile=object1@env$profile+object2@env$profile  # matrix with scans in columns and rows representing equally spaced m/z values
object3@tic=object1@tic+object2@tic
nscans=ncol(object1@env$profile)

mznew=c()
intensitynew=c()
scanindexnew=c()
mzall=seq(mzmin,mzmax,by=profst)

x=object3@env$profile 
intensitynew=lapply(seq_len(ncol(x)), function(i) {res=x[,i];res[res!=0]})
mznew=lapply(seq_len(ncol(x)), function(i) {res=x[,i];mzall[res!=0]})
scanindexnew=sapply(seq_len(length(mznew)), function(i) {length(mznew[[i]])})
scanindexnew=c(0,scanindexnew)[1:length(scanindexnew)]
scanindexnew=sapply(seq_len(length(scanindexnew)), function(i) {sum(scanindexnew[1:i])})

object3@env$mz=unlist(mznew)
object3@env$intensity=unlist(intensitynew)
object3@scanindex=as.integer(scanindexnew)

return(object3)
}

######### function to sum the spectra of several cdf files and write it back as a cdf file

addspectracdffiles = function(files,profst=1,outfile="summedspectra.cdf") {
  obj=xcmsRaw(files[1],profstep=profst,profmethod="bin")
  nfiles=length(files)
  if (nfiles>1) {
  for (i in 2:length(files)) {
    obj2=xcmsRaw(files[i],profstep=profst,profmethod="bin")
    obj=addspectra(obj,obj2,profst=profst)
    print(paste("Added spectrum of file",files[i]))
  }}
  write.cdf(obj,file=outfile)
  return(obj)
}